LANIWCI CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION
The following are the original establishing Laniwci Parish Founding Members
The “Laniwci” name origionated from the Ternopil county in Ukraine and is derived from the word ‘lany’ meaning grainfields.
In 1902 these founding members purchased the 160 acre site which was fully paid for by 1908. Part of the site was used for the church, various parish buildings, the cemetery and the remainder was cultivated and cropped to provide revenue for the maintenance of the church. Created in 1931 a formal constitution was enacted and to which we adhere to today and serves as our guidance for the future parish preservation.
The first church was a log and clay structure constructed by the founders of the parish in 1906 on a site eight miles west of Alvena, Saskatchewan. In 1918 it was converted into a parish hall and the second church was constructed [ see picture ].
The parish cemetery was blessed in 1904 by Rev. Sozont Dydyk, OSBM .
The 1918 Church was a cruciform structure with one central dome. Later in 1931-1932, Mr. Stephan Meush hand carved an iconostas to adorn the alter area [see picture below].
The icons paintings were drawn by Mr. Isadore Hrytzak [1912-1995]. For the community hall, he also created nature and Ukrainian village scenes on canvas murals used for stage scene backdrops. On August 19 1932 , Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church.
In 1948 , Mr. Nick Zary constructed the beautiful masonry bell tower. The parishioners purchased 2 of the bells for the belfry and the third was donated by Mr. Ilko Hrytzak.
More recently, 2 of the bells were stolen and the remaining bell was positioned to the center arch.
Tragedy struck on August 19, 1964 when a lightning strike caused an ensuing fire which completely destroyed the church. In 1965 the parisheners constructed the present church as seen on the opening webpage. There were well more than 100 parishoners at the time.
Their generous donations and voluntary labor made for quick reconstruction. Lead by foreman Mr. Nick Zary, the construction committee included Michael Lozinsky, Walter Lozinsky, Harry Slywka, Michael Harasymchuk & John Mialkowsky. The pastor at the time was Rev. Andrew Choronzy. On August 4 1974, Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church.
Behind the main alter hangs the large patron icon. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary are icons of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child on the left and Christ the Redeemer on the right. These are oil on canvas paintings and the frames are finished in gold leaf. The artist was Mr. Theodore Baran painted in 1976.
The Ukrainian Catholic Mission Parish of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ is currently not under the pastoral charge.
Alterboy is Ben Lozinsky
Church Elder is Darren Lozinsky
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND GRATEFUL THANKS
(A). LAINWCI CEMETARY PLOTS : pages 24 thru 27
Our Ukrainian Catholic Heritage in Central Saskatchewan
By Walter Pustey [ Rostern,Sk – Kamloops , BC ]
(B). UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC CHURCHES OF SASKATCHEWAN
By Anna Maria Baran 1977 ; Published by Ukrainian Catholic Council of Saskatchewan
printed by Modern Press, Saskatoon, Canada
THE FOLLOWING IS TRANSLATION OF THE RESOLUTION ESTABLISHING OWNERSHIP AND PARTICIPATION OF LANIWCI ASCENSION CHURCH:
This meeting was attended by 32 members.
Resolutions that were brought forth at the meeting were statuses, that each member’s children who belong to the church (farm) and also their children will have the right to attend the church and use the land. But people who only attend the church will be permitted their children only to the church and cemetery. Any member who does not pay membership fees that is needed by the church to support the priest and other church necessities would not be longer listed as a member of the church. Also a member that would change their religion ( to another ) would cease to be a member of this church and cannot be interned in the cemetery.